National Cancer Center Seeks Executive Director
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will lead the NCC’s mission to provide financial support to researchers undertaking innovative and promising studies that seek to cure cancer and to provide education on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
The successful candidate must be a proven leader and consensus builder who is able to promote collaboration and partnerships while advancing the core goals of the organization. The candidate will be a creative and strategic thinker and planner, a hands-on manager and a problem solver who is passionate about finding a cure for cancer.
This is an exciting opportunity for a visionary leader who wants to take a storied organization to the next level.
The full-time position requires 2-3 days in the NCC office in West Islip, Long Island, New York.
The Executive Director is expected to demonstrate excellence in all aspects of leadership and should:
- Set the organization up for long-term success by creating a multi-faceted and durable business model and by establishing and implementing organization-wide priorities and goals.
- Expand revenue-generating and fundraising activities with foundations as well as corporate and individual donors
- Cultivate partnerships with relevant organizations
- Prioritize use of the organization’s resources to implement a forward-looking vision
- Recognize, create and support opportunities for innovation in technology and programming
The Executive Director is also responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the organization, which includes:
- Supervision of Program Administrator
- Evaluation of the organizational positioning, processes and functions to build out and improve upon the organization’s performance
- Creation and maintenance of the organization’s budget by working with the Board and staff
- Management of all outside contractors and consultants including: independent financial portfolio management advisor; fundraising development consultant; independent fundraising corporate vendors; accounting and legal services; public education and organizational marketing professionals, as well as earned, owned and social media.
- Management of annual grant application process, including outreach to institutional and university cancer research departments
- Liaise with the NCC Scientific Advisory Board, comprised of physicians and researchers from some of the country’s foremost cancer research institutions, including Duke University Medical Center, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Rockefeller University Hospital, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
Board of Directors Support
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with the Board on all matters of importance
- Provide guidance and staff point of view to Board on all issues
- Supervise preparation of materials for use in the Board’s meetings
- Serve as liaison between the Board of Directors and the Scientific Advisory Board
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, flexible, positive, mission-driven and possessing high integrity and energy
- Ability to work collaboratively and build meaningful relationships with staff and external stakeholders to achieve buy-in and support for the organization’s long-term strategic goals.
- Ability to understand and explain complex financial and legal concepts
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage complex situations and prioritize multiple responsibilities, including long-term projects and immediate demands
- Meticulous attention to detail
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Personal qualities of integrity, empathy, credibility and dedication to the mission of the NCC
Preferred Experience and Knowledge:
- Eight to ten years of senior-level experience in management, including staff supervision and team leadership, strategic planning, organizational development, finances, budgeting and negotiation
- Demonstrated record of success in leadership, management and communications
- Demonstrated ability to hire, nurture and manage staff
- Familiarity with the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT
Salary commensurate with experience.
Healthcare and benefits provided.
For consideration, reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org